What climate change will mean for your home
- Flood insurance and etc is not affecting prices because people aren’t checking it before hand.
- FEMA flood guidelines are out of date so the true risks aren’t well known
- Insurance is 20-30% higher in high risk areas and raise deductibles for things like hurricanes (so basically it doesn’t help much)
- as we see more floods, fires, and etc. you will see companies stop providing insurance and because of the lack of competition that’ll also raise rates.
Energy Transition Link to heading
Changing the way we generate and use energy to more efficient (electrical) and clean (solar, wind, human) power generation.
Electric Vehicles Link to heading
There are lots of options for EVs! And they’re changing quite quickly.
Cars Link to heading
- Tesla: The usual
- Audi: “eTron”
- Nissan: Leaf
- Honda?: May have some soon I think, but mainly hybrids
- Toyota: Focused on hydrogen, but coming out with some full electric models. Has Rav4 plugin
- Ford: New F150 coming
- GM: Has Volt
- Rivian: New electric trucks. Former Tesla people
- Hyundai: IQONIC 5 seems legit
Bikes Link to heading
Electric bikes, normally Push Assist ones, are nice way to make commuting and moving around via bike much more palatable to people.
Great plus to bikes is they can handle more terrain (e.g. bad or dirt roads, jumping curbs, etc.) and high maneuverability.
Issue with bikes is securing them when you can not keep them with you. In an Office this may not be an issue, but going to stores and etc it does. Also there may not be anywhere to safely secure the bike.
Motorcycles Link to heading
There are lots of interesting high-performance electric bikes which have twist-turn acceleration. Requires all the usual goodies of a road vehicle like plates, insurance, and etc.
Many have great range and lots of technology in them. Some have Radars and haptic feedback for instance.
Scooters Link to heading
Great alternative to Bikes and better than longboards or unicycles because of the bar. Bikes can handle much more crappy roads, but
Longboards Link to heading
- Classic longboard is the Boosted Boards. Sad that Boosted is gone.
Unicycles and Hoverboards Link to heading
They have a learning curve, but once learned have impressive range and safety.
Unicycles are “better” than hoverboards on most metrics, but Hoverboards look cooler.